While I was studying in Houston University and taking the Mathematical Topology, I had coffee in the student center and was sitting back to back to a beautiful girl. I was thinking how to open a conversation with her, and then I turned and asked her:

"What is topology?"

She turned around and smiled. "It's the study of continuous deformations," she said. "For example, a square can be deformed into a circle without tearing it, but a figure 8 cannot."

"That's interesting," I said. "I'm taking a topology class right now."

"Really? What do you think of it?" she asked.

"It's challenging, but I'm enjoying it," I said. "I'm learning a lot about how to think about space."

We talked for a while longer about topology, and I found out that her name was Carol. She was a graduate student in mathematics, and she was really passionate about her work. I was impressed by her intelligence and her enthusiasm, and I started to think that she might be someone special.

We started dating soon after that, and we've been together ever since. Carol is my best friend, my lover, and my soulmate. She's the smartest, most beautiful, and most amazing woman I've ever met, and I'm so grateful that I met her that day in the student center.

One day, we were talking about our relationship, and I told her that I was so glad that I had asked her about topology that day. She smiled and said, "Me too. I was so nervous when you turned around and asked me that question, but I'm so glad I answered it. If I hadn't, I never would have met you."

I'm so glad that I took that risk and asked her about topology. It was the best decision I ever made.

Comments

Popular Posts